The Construction Plant-hire Association (CPA) has confirmed that the CPA Stars of the Future 2020 awards programme for outstanding plant apprentices and trainees is still going ahead.
Despite the unprecedented situation we are currently in due to the coronavirus outbreak, the CPA has taken the decision to continue with the 2020 Stars of the Future programme, in line with the latest Government advice regarding the continuation of apprenticeships. However, the physical awards ceremony that was originally scheduled for 10th June 2020 at the Heart of England Conference and Events Centre in Warwickshire will no longer take place.
The CPA is currently in the process of considering viable alternatives to announce the winners of each awards category later this year. This may take the form of a multimedia channel announcement and all winners will receive the prizes they would otherwise have won. All awards categories will still stand – with national and regional awards for Plant Mechanics, Plant Technicians, Lifting Technicians, Plant Operators and Hire Controllers across the UK.
In recognition that employers and training providers have a number of other priorities at the moment, the nominations deadline has now been extended to 31st May 2020. Stars of the Future nominations are welcomed from plant-hire companies, manufacturers, contractors, suppliers and others operating in the construction plant sector and nomination forms are available on the CPA website at https://www.cpa.uk.net/starsdownloads/
Stars of the Future is a national awards scheme for apprentices and trainees in the construction plant-hire industry, organised by the CPA, the leading trade association for the plant-hire sector in the UK. The CPA has over 1,700 members who supply 85% of hired plant to the construction industry.
Kevin Minton, Chief Executive of the CPA said: “We fully appreciate that it is crucial to maintain the recognition of outstanding apprentices in these challenging times, including as a mark of the support and dedication that their employers have given to each of the nominees.
“Although we are regrettably unable to hold the one day awards ceremony, we are working on devising a suitable alternative means of announcing and awarding trophies and prizes to the various winners. We know the next few months are difficult to predict, but we believe this is the right course of action at the present time and we will keep reviewing it. We look forward to working with our judges, employers and our valuable sponsors in maintaining this prestigious awards programme,” he continued.
Stars of the Future is now in its eighth year and each year it has grown in stature to recognise apprentices and trainees who are stars in the making. Stars of the Future winners will be in contention for a number of prizes. Last year Plant Mechanic winners won Snap-on tool kits and other prizes included an all-expenses paid trip to Germany to visit a Liebherr crane manufacturing plant for the CPA Lifting Technician Star of the Future winner.
To qualify for a CPA Stars of the Future award, applicants need to be:
· Employed and working on one of the listed occupations at the appropriate level;
· On a recognised apprenticeship or a formal training programme of at least 12 months duration for the occupation;
· Working towards or hold a relevant NVQ, SVQ or other form of formal occupational competence-based qualification;
· On a formal training programme with an appropriate length of off-the-job training.
For specific occupations, nominees need to be:
Plant Mechanic Level 2
· On a recognised apprenticeship or a formal training programme of at least 24 months duration.
· On a recognised apprenticeship or formal training programme of at least 18 months duration for the occupation;
· Operating either a tower, crawler or mobile (wheeled) crane which forms a major element of the apprenticeship or training programme, supplemented by slinging and signalling activities.
· Operating at least two types of ride-on construction plant* which forms a major element of the apprenticeship or training programme.
* Excludes mobile, crawler or tower crane operations as covered by the Lifting Technician Award.
Photograph: CPA67-1: The National CPA Stars of the Future winners from the 2019 awards ceremony.